Monday, August 4, 2014

Rain.. Tea.. Pakodas!!

In the early nineties, when I was just a school kid, one day my father came home with a package in his hand. It was raining outside and the weather was just ideal for enjoying hot pakodas. 

A whiff, an aroma of pakodas filled the lobby as soon as he entered the house. Though I, like all the kids, was and am the biggest fan of my mom's cooking, I realized that it was different. It was a fragrance which carried a texture which simply cannot be achieved from home cooking. And it smelled super delicious!

My father saw the curiosity on my face and said, "I've got the best pakodas in the world for you today". And trust me, it's been more than 20 years, and I am yet to come across better tasting pakodas than the ones which my dad brought from Khandani Pakode Wala shop that day! I've been a huge fan ever since.

This more than 50 years old shop is situated at Narojini Nagar in New Delhi right at the corner of the left turn which you take from the Ring Road while driving towards Sarojini Nagar. And I can bet on anything if you can find this place deserted during the working hours any day year- round as you will always find this shop thronged with people lining up to get their hands on the delicious pakodas.


The shop offers a wide variety of pakodas. Usual ones like paneer, onion, bread, aloo tikki and the unusual ones like Soyabean, baingan, sweet corn, karela masala and kamal kakdi! 

The pakodas are prepared in hygienic conditions and are cheaply priced. The recipes are a secret and are passed from generation to generation. 

My personal favorites are Kamal kakdi, pyaaz, mirchi and palak methi pyaaz. Pakodas are delicately spiced and not heavy on stomach. All the pakodas taste different and there is a dedicated recipe for each type of pakoda with different fillings and spices. 

The most special thing offered by this shop is the superb mint and onion chutney to go with the pakodas which is really out of this world. Tangy and spicy, this chutney is kind of a trademark of this shop.

So next time it rains and you feel like having mouthwatering pakodas and a hot cup of tea, you know now where to head to!

No comments:

Post a Comment